Manila Temple
Home -> Family and Temples -> Temples -> Manila Temple
The Manila Philippines Temple was the first temple built in the Philippines and the second built in Asia.
The Manila Philippines Temple was announced on April 1, 1981 and ground was broken on August 25, 1982. The temple was dedicated on September 25, 1984 by President Gordon B. Hinckley. The Manila Philippines Temple is located on a 3.5 acre site in Quezon City. The temple consists of four ordinance rooms and three sealing rooms, occupying 19,388 square feet. The Manila Philippines Temple serves nearly half a million members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 78 stakes and 17 missions in the Philippines, Micronesia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, India and part of Burma.
Although The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was introduced to the archipelago during the Spanish-American War in 1898, by 1970 there was only one meetinghouse in the Philippines. In that year Elder Ezra Taft Benson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles visited the island nation and promised that Church growth in the area would accelerate, and that a temple would be built there "in our lifetime". By the time the Manila Temple was dedicated in 1984, Church membership had reached 76,000. Some 2,000 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attended groundbreaking ceremonies for the Manila Philippines Temple despite the threat of a typhoon in the area. Later, more than 27,000 people attended temple open house events despite two more typhoons that struck two days apart.
Temple President : Earl M. Monson
Location: 13 Temple Drive, Greenmeadows Subdivision, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines.
Phone Number: (63) 2-635-0954.    Mobile: (63) 927-397-4353
Site: 3.5 acres.
Exterior Finish: Ceramic tile.
Temple Design: Modern adaptation of six-spire design.
Number of Rooms: Four ordinance rooms and three sealing.
Total Floor Area: 26,683 square feet.
Announcement: 1 April 1981
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 25 August 1982 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Public Open House: 3–15 September 1984
Dedication: 25–27 September 1984 by Gordon B. Hinckley